The globe’s no 1 meals monitoring and vitamin app is shining a light-weight on sugar consumption and uncovering hidden sugars in meals internationally
NEW YORK, Feb. 1, 2023 /PRNewswire/ — MyFitnessPal, the great vitamin and health monitoring app, is encouraging folks to dial again the sweets and pump up coronary heart well being as they launch the Less Sweet, More Heart marketing campaign for February’s Heart Health Month. In 4 of the highest 5 sugar-logging nations – Australia, Canada, U.Ok., and U.S. – MyFitnessPal is commemorating the worldwide deal with coronary heart well being with large heart-shaped sugar constructions in main cities together with Sydney, Toronto, London and Miami. Knowing that greater than 50% of individuals surveyed worldwide mentioned they wish to lower their sugar consumption, MyFitnessPal can be sharing low sugar recipes, meal concepts and easy sugar swaps obtainable now on the free app.
“Even these of us who do not assume we’ve a candy tooth can be shocked by how a lot sugar we’re consuming. Numerous the meals we take pleasure in on daily basis have a shocking quantity of hidden sugar,” explains Tricia Han, CEO of MyFitnessPal. “Tracking is an effective way to realize a greater understanding of simply how a lot sugar is within the meals you are consuming, and we’re sharing some easy swaps and concepts that may assist hold that quantity within the wholesome beneficial vary.”
According to the American Heart Association, a median American grownup consumes 77 grams of sugar per day, which is sort of 3 times greater than the beneficial quantity. Much of that comes from meals that comprises hidden sugar, together with these meals recurrently touted as “wholesome” reminiscent of flavored yogurts and oatmeals. To add to the confusion, there are an estimated 50 totally different names for sugar and sweeteners that may be discovered on vitamin labels. To take the guesswork out of the equation, monitoring meals with the free MyFitnessPal app will precisely present a fast snapshot of each day sugar consumption together with longer-term tendencies.
Other methods MyFitnessPal is pumping up Heart Health this month:
Smart Sugar Swaps
MyFitnessPal nutritionists and dieticians have created an inventory of easy and fast each day sugar swaps that may simply be carried out and finally add as much as main well being adjustments (try #MFPSugarSwaps for much more inspiration).
- Swap flavored yogurt for plain Greek yogurt topped with one teaspoon honey and recent fruit. Not solely is sugar decreased however fiber and protein are elevated. If eaten each day, this swap can probably save 14,600 energy, or 4 kilos, in a 12 months.
- Opt for plain rolled or metal oats over flavored oatmeal. Jazz up this breakfast staple with spices like cinnamon and recent fruits like chopped apples. If eaten each day, this swap can probably save 16,060 energy, or four-and-a-half kilos, in a 12 months.
- Small snacks can include a whole lot of added sugar. Some snack bars include as much as 14 grams of added sugar, which is the equal of three.5 sugar cubes. Try changing this on-the-go gasoline with manufacturers that tout no added sugar. This swap can probably save as much as 20,440 energy, or six kilos, in a 12 months.
Sugar Smarts Survey
MyFitnessPal just lately surveyed over 4,300 folks within the 4 nations and found some shocking findings together with:
- Over 50% of individuals surveyed mentioned sugar is the primary factor they’re making an attempt to eat much less of
- Over a 3rd of individuals surveyed mentioned they’d no thought what number of energy are in a single teaspoon of sugar, actually solely 20% of Americans answered appropriately: one teaspoon of sugar comprises 16 energy.
People can check their very own Sugar Smarts with an eye-opening online quiz, go to MyFitnessPal’s app to be taught extra in regards to the “Less Sweet, More Heart” marketing campaign and discover inspiration for low sugar meals and easy sugar swaps to do that month. The free app can be obtainable for obtain through App Store and Google Play.
MyFitnessPal is the No. 1 international vitamin and meals monitoring app for reaching well being objectives. Since 2005, MyFitnessPal has empowered over 200 million customers in over 120 nations to log meals consumption, file train exercise and weight, observe wellness habits, and obtain their well being and health objectives. As one of many world’s most trusted and main assets on vitamin, MyFitnessPal’s mission is to ignite highly effective vitamin and wellness change in members by empowering them to succeed on their very own phrases by customized data-led insights, steerage, and unwavering assist. With one of many largest meals databases on this planet comprising over 14 million meals, entry to over 500 recipes, over 150 exercise routines, 200 train demos and over 35 related health companions, MyFitnessPal offers customers with instruments for optimistic wholesome change. The MyFitnessPal app is accessible on the App Store and Google Play retailer. To be taught extra, go to www.myfitnesspal.com or comply with MyFitnessPal on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, TikTok and Twitter.