The COVID-19 pandemic has already led to vitamin insecurity, in addition to poor well being outcomes. Families, the place younger kids, youth, pregnant and lactating ladies reside, have to be protected in opposition to the continued protracted pandemic and the aftershocks which might be very prone to comply with for years to return. Therefore, the main target, now greater than ever, ought to be on vitamin as what we eat and drink can affect our body’s ability to prevent, fight and recover from infections.
While no meals or dietary dietary supplements can forestall or remedy COVID-19 an infection, wholesome diets are necessary for supporting our immune methods. Good vitamin also can cut back the probability of creating different well being issues because it performs a outstanding function to safeguard in opposition to disease-causing microorganisms. Let meals be the medication and medicine be the food.
Good vitamin is likely one of the finest steps to make sure a mom and baby’s immune system stays sturdy and wholesome.
Breastfeeding throughout COVID-19 is essential: Breastfeeding improves survival and gives lifelong well being and growth benefits to new-borns and infants. Active COVID-19 has not been detected within the breastmilk of any mom with confirmed/suspected COVID-19. Therefore, it’s unlikely that COVID-19 could be transmitted by way of breastfeeding or by giving breastmilk that has been expressed by a mom with confirmed/suspected COVID-19.
Variety of meals and common meals for kids: Children, from six months of age, have to eat from at the least 4 meals teams every day together with fruit and greens, grains, pulses and nuts, animal and dairy merchandise and staple meals, comparable to rice. They additionally have to drink loads of liquids, comparable to breastmilk and clear water to maintain them hydrated. As they’ve small stomachs, they need to eat regularly, and the types of food and frequency could be slowly constructed up over time. Foods from the household meal which might be mashed or pureed utilizing a clear spoon or different implement can be given.
Eat Right, Eat Safe, and Eat Healthy: What to deal with?
1. Eat fruits, greens, legumes (e.g. lentils, beans), nuts and whole grains (e.g. unprocessed maize, millet, oats, wheat, brown rice or roots comparable to potato), and meals from animal sources (e.g. meat, fish, eggs and milk).
2. Water is crucial for all times. It transports vitamins and compounds in blood, regulates your physique temperature, removes waste, and lubricates and cushions joints. Drink 8–10 cups of water on daily basis.
3. Consume unsaturated fats, such as vegetable oils, like sunflower, corn, or canola, and peanuts, reasonably than saturated fat, comparable to butter, coconut oil, cream, and cheese.
4. Vitamin C is the defence cell’s contribution to the human immune system. Therefore, it’s of utmost significance to incorporate citrus fruits within the weight loss plan like Grapes, Amla, even dried or pickled, oranges, lemon, papaya, and many others.
5. Limit day by day salt consumption to lower than 5 gm (roughly 1 teaspoon), and use iodized salt. Avoid meals which might be excessive in salt and sugar. Limit the consumption of soppy drinks or sodas and different drinks which might be excessive in sugar.
6. Zinc is a necessary mineral for good well being and required in small portions. It metabolizes vitamins, maintains your immune system and grows and repairs physique tissues. But, the physique doesn’t retailer zinc, due to this fact, we have to eat sufficient zinc-rich meals on daily basis to make sure we’re assembly our day by day necessities.
7. Lifestyle modifications: While correct vitamin and hydration improve health and immunity, they aren’t magic bullets. It is necessary to keep away from smokes, alcohol and embrace a routine that features exercising often and sustaining a wholesome weight. Don’t Compromise on Sleep; a very good snooze time of 7-8 hours is the easiest way to assist your physique construct immunity. Also, attempt to minimise stress. These are testing occasions, and extended durations of staying indoors might have its implications on one’s psychological wellbeing.
(The author is Associate Director – Nutrition, Tata Trusts.)