World Health Summit and WHO Department of Nutrition and Food Safety
No prior registration is required, the occasion may be watched on-line. You can discover the hyperlink of this session (WS27) within the online program of the World Health Summit. The entry hyperlink is offered within the on-line program after clicking on the session. Access is feasible by way of PC, pill, or smartphone.
Interactive format via chat. Q&A operate, display screen and doc sharing.
In 2022, the world is confronted with the competing, and compounding, threats of COVID-19, local weather change, financial shocks, and ongoing conflicts. These threats have triggered unprecedented ranges of want with disrupted provide chains, meals worth spikes, and crop
shortages testing already fragile meals methods. The ensuing meals disaster exacerbates all types of malnutrition. From rising states of undernutrition, childhood losing, and stunting as 1000’s are pushed into states of starvation; to rising ranges
of micronutrient deficiencies, chubby and weight problems as financial shocks make wholesome diets unaffordable for greater than 3 billion folks and extremely processed meals, which are sometimes excessive in unhealthy fat, sugars and salt, develop into financial requirements.
Food safety is outlined as when all folks have bodily, social, and financial entry to adequate, secure, and nutritious meals that meets their dietary wants and meals preferences. While pressing motion is required to beat the rapid state of meals
insecurity and guarantee meals availability, it is usually important to use classes from the previous within the risks of a siloed concentrate on energy on the expense of offering ample, nutritionally balanced meals and dealing in the direction of long run accessibility
by constructing resilient meals methods. This imaginative and prescient requires motion throughout meals, well being, social safety, commerce, and training sectors, and efficient meals system governance to make sure the rapid and long-term meals and diet wants of populations
are met. Without motion, meals safety and malnutrition threaten to exacerbate international threats, driving meals methods’ contribution to local weather change and inciting states of battle.
This workshop goals to discover the present challenges to meals safety and diet posed by international threats, modern and evidence-based options to satisfy rapid wants, and long-term options to construct resilient meals methods to ship wholesome diets
Chair and moderator
- Francesco Branca – Director, Department of Nutrition and Food Safety, World Health Organization
- Mamunur Rahman Malik – Mission and Representative for Somalia, World Health Organization, Somalia
- Purnima Menon, Senior Director for Food and Nutrition Policy, CGIAR and Senior Research Fellow, International Food Policy Institute (IFPRI), United States of America
- Shawn Baker – Chief Nutritionist, USAID, United States of America
- Silvia Bender – State Secretary, Federal Ministry for Food and Agriculture (BMEL), Germany
- Valerie Guarnieri – Assistant Executive Director, World Food Programme, Italy
- Caroline Meledo – Director, Bayer AG, Consumer Health Division, Environmental Social Governance (ESG), Public Affairs, Science & Sustainability, Switzerland
- Florian Westphal – CEO, Save the Children, Germany