Post-calving is a key time for the spring cow to realize situation, milk nicely for her calf and be prepared for the bull, so she must be in good power stability.
In well-managed grazing methods and a few early grass rising areas, this is probably not a difficulty, nevertheless many areas have later development or have had sheep over-wintering for a bit too lengthy. Even if the climate is sweet for turnout, it is very important guarantee there’s sufficient grass cowl to fulfill cows’ dietary necessities.
How a lot is sufficient?
• A suckler cow lactating wants roughly 135MJ of power which is round 60kg of fine high quality grass. This is an consumption of round 12kg of dry matter (DM).
• Using a sward persist with measure a consultant space throughout the sphere. In a set stocked system spring grass ought to be at the least 6cm (round 2000kgDM/Ha).
• Think about what number of cattle there are per hectare (day by day demand) and what the expansion of the grass is prone to be every day (day by day provide) to make sure cattle are getting what they want.
Grass in April could solely be rising at 10-16kg/ha/day and by May it could possibly be as much as 60-70kg/ha/day. So, in April, 1ha would meet the wants of 1 cow, whereas in May it can meet the wants of six cows!
Especially this yr, when enter prices are excessive, making optimum use grass by stocking appropriately for the expansion and circumstances will actually assist in direction of maintaining a superb provide of grass all through the summer season.
Turnout – vitamin checks:
• Grass peak, minimal 6cm within the spring. Manage stocking charges in keeping with development and complement if wanted.
• Rumen fill – the triangle space between backbone, hip and rib cage on the left hand aspect of the cow provides a superb indication of rumen fill, if this space is sunken and an apparent triangle then the cows are usually not consuming sufficient, examine center of the day after grazing, very first thing within the morning it will likely be emptier.
• Coat adjustments, are they trying smooth and dropping winter hair – indication of thriving.
• Condition adjustments (over a couple of weeks).
• Are they knocking you over for feed or not fussed? Lush spring grass may be very appetising, if there’s sufficient, they won’t be fussed about extra feed.
If grass development slows proper up with dry or chilly climate cows could solely be getting half of their wants from grass. In these conditions, the cows prioritise milk, they shed pounds themselves and their return to oestrus is delayed.
As a part of a Knowledge Transfer Innovation Fund (KTIF) mission involving 12 suckler farms in Angus and Fife, we regarded on the dietary standing of suckler cows one-month post-calving by means of metabolic blood profiling.
Most of the cows within the mission had been housed on this interval and outcomes confirmed that 37% of cows had been low in dietary protein and 20% of cows had been mobilising physique fats at an extreme price, so had been in detrimental power stability.
Minerals and hint parts had been all nicely provided, besides magnesium the place over 1 / 4 of cows had been low. Energy stability is important and the longer cows are struggling for power, the longer they are going to take to get again in calf.
Well-managed grass is the important thing to success. However, good climate will tempt turnout even when grass development just isn’t best.
The message is easy – if doubtful feed them. Iit could value you extra within the brief time period, however it can value you extra when you don’t, in the long run.